Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner





Who is your favorite character in The Hundred Acre Wood? 

Michael (6): My favorite character is Tigger because he's funny. It's kind of funny when Tigger comes in Pooh's house. Well, it's not that funny. I just like Tigger! I also like Rabbit... because he's a rabbit." 

Daniel (6): "Owl! He's my favorite my animal... and he's kind of funny. And I like Christopher Robin because he's always nice to all the animals."

Evy (8): "I like piglet. He's the funniest. I like the 'tiddly-pums'!"

Gabe (11): "I think the funniest one is Winnie the Pooh. He says lots of funny things. And my favorite character is Small... he and his brother Alexander are tied."

Julia (13): "I like Roo because he's really cute, and he says funny things that remind me of little kids." 



Mom's Notes: We love Winnie the Pooh! And we can't believe we didn't really know that until now. A friend recommended reading the books. She said they just capture childhood so well. I definitely agree. A.A. Milne did a masterful job bringing these distinct characters and enchanted places to the world. Of course, on a deeper level, everyone can relate to the various characters in different ways. The stories had us laughing (a lot!), thinking, and drawing! (We even compiled a book of the drawings. There are lots because we listened to the stories over the course of a few months. The WtP phase lasted a long time! A lovely illustrated book fro Christmas revived it and we had a "Hundred Acre Wood Day" for our first homeschool theme day of the new year.) 

At first the buddies, Julia, and I listened to the audio book on our way driving Julia to Ensign Academy. We loved the stories so much that we had to share them with the rest of the family. We listened to the first book en route to Colorado over fall break. (We were glad Jonny got to be involved since he usually misses out on read-aloud books during the school year.) Peter Dennis is a phenomenal reader and his love for the stories and personal friendship with Milne are evident in his playful delivery. We listen and re-read favorite chapters often! 






No comments:

Post a Comment