Wednesday, January 30, 2019

The Tale of Despereaux


Why do you think the author refers to darkness and light so much in this story? 

Julia (11): "Because that's the ways of the world." 

Gabe (9): "So people can read about real life and what it's like. It's not like all of your life it's just light everywhere." 

Evy (6): "I don't like being in the dark. In the light I can see and play and it's really beautiful." 


A lot of characters change for the better in this book. Which example of this stands out most to you? Why is his/her story inspirational? 

Julia (11): "Despereaux's dad realized what he did wrong and he asked for forgiveness. It's an example of repentance."

Gabe (9): "Despereaux used to be really scared, now he is really brave. It might help people to be brave and might motivate them to change and do something hard."

Evy (6): "Despereaux had to go in the darkness again, and he was really brave. And the rat learned how to be a real friend to someone." 


Mom's Notes: I read and treasured this book years ago on my own, and wondered when the time would be right to share it with my kids. It's a sort of fable about bravery, sacrifice, love, and light. So naturally, it's also about pride, selfishness, evil, and darkness. With castles and chivalry fresh on our minds during our Middle Ages history unit, I figured it was a good opportunity. After the first few chapters, though, I wondered if this little story might be too heavy. (Yes, I had read it before. But reading aloud to children is a different experience.) I know that DiCamillo does have a gentle way of touching difficult subjects, so I trusted that and kept on. I did soften some of it just a bit, for six-year-old Evy (and the twins who listened here and there). I'm so glad we carried on, because this truly is a beautiful story with plenty of symbolism to spark deep and meaningful conversations. 

Did I cry at the closing chapter? Yes, Reader, I did. Was I the only one with tears in my eyes? No, Reader, I wasn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment