Sunday, August 16, 2020

Charlotte's Web

Would you like to have a baby pig for a pet? 

Daniel (6): "No, because the pig would go in mud and stuff." 

Michael (6): "Yeah. No. Well, I do want one but I don't want to take care of it." 


Tell me one way Charlotte was a true friend to Wilbur? 

Daniel: "She built the web so Wilbur won't be dead." 

Michael: "Her helped him." 


Mom's Notes: We've been slowly reading this book all summer. It's really the first read-aloud the buddies have fully participated in. I remember one day, a few chapters in, Daniel was being stubborn and wouldn't join Michael and me as we snuggled up with the book on my bed. We began reading anyway. It didn't take long for Daniel to make his way over to us and this barnyard story that afternoon. I didn't have to ask twice for him to join us after that. :) 

It's been years since I last read this book, and I had forgotten how beautiful the description of Charlotte's selfless sacrifice is. She's always watching from the corner, unnoticed, when Wilbur is praised. Her loyal friendship and love instill confidence in the uncertain pig. She's truthful with him, even when she knows it'll be hard for him to bear, but is ready to comfort and talk him through those times. And at the end of her short time, Charlotte explains to Wilbur that he will live a full, wonderful life. She poetically describes what he'll experience, then she says, "All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy, Wilbur - this lovely world, these precious days..." I'm so grateful the best stories can enrich our lives and testify of truth with every reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment